Vision, Mission & Educational Philosophy
Austin empowers students spiritually, morally, intellectually, and physically for college, career, and life in the Augustinian tradition resulting in minds to lead, hands to serve, and hearts to love.
Guided by the Augustinian core values of truth, unity, and love and embedded in a vibrant faith community, Austin Catholic High school is open to young men and women of diverse backgrounds in the tri-county area. Qualified, dynamic and supportive staff unite with students and families to create a safe and supportive environment that embraces individuality and celebrates community. Comprehensive, rigorous curriculum maximizes each students’ potential to inspire thinkers and visionaries for college and career. To foster the development of the whole person, we provide extensive programs for all levels in academics, arts, athletics, and activities to inspire self-worth, and motivate leadership. Looking beyond ourselves, Austin provides spiritual programs that promote a lifelong commitment to loving and grateful service to each other, to society, and to God.
PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION
We believe that human beings were made by God to share life ultimately with God and with one another in God. Created for God we were made in God’s image and likeness.
We have an intellect capable of moving from sense data to the deepest levels of abstraction. We are driven in our pursuit of truth to see and know gradually the vision and experience of ultimate truth – God Himself. Students and teachers are united in the common task of knowing, understanding, and appreciating truth.
A liberal arts curriculum is believed to be the best vehicle for assisting students to pursue the kind of truth described above. As demanding as it may be, it helps free students to know truth and it entices them to come to love it. It leads to the union of truth and love – love being the third dynamic principle of Augustinian education (the first being truth).
The thrill of knowing draws students into the admired inner circle of God’s love and life. But that inner circle is also directly accessed through the Augustinian school family community in which all the activities of the school take place. By assiduous cultivation of interpersonal relationships students learn more clearly about the ultimate love to which they are called – love of God.
The school community embraces all the members: Augustinian Religious, administrators, teachers, staff, students, and parents. All are drawn into the multiple tasks of helping one another learn and grow. This is a community effort.
Austin Catholic High School teachers do not see themselves as imparting knowledge and wisdom to students. Rather, with profound respect for their students, the teachers structure lessons and provide example so that students can relate newly offered learnings to their inner dictates of truth. Thus, they are gently led to embrace new insights enthusiastically.
Learning takes place in the many extracurricular activities of the school: in social settings, on the athletic fields, during Religious and Liturgical services, and through social service to others in need. These various learning situations foster interpersonal relationships, community building, a sense of teamwork, a commitment to others, and a realization of the responsibilities of citizenship.
The core values of Augustinian education are: Truth, Unity, and Love.
GOALS OF AN AUSTIN CATHOLIC EDUCATION
Austin Catholic will form Christian men and women who:
- Realizing that union with God is the ultimate reason for being and the ultimate goal for all love
- Know the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as reflected by beliefs of the Catholic Church
- Live and share the Augustinian Core Values of Truth, Unity, and Love
- Experience a vibrant Catholic Faith Community
- Organize a Catholic Christian value system for further development in adult life
- Participate in Christian service and embrace its value
Austin Catholic will develop physically and emotionally young adults who:
- Understand and practice healthy life choices
- Utilize resources to become responsible decision makers and effective problem solvers
- Form supportive and positive relationships
- Participate in activities that strengthen their minds, hearts, and bodies
- Strive to achieve a healthy balance in their lives
Austin Catholic will empower well-rounded intellectual graduates who:
- Will perform well at the college/university level through a liberal arts education
- Can think clearly, critically, and creatively
- Have the ability to move from sense data to abstraction
- Communicate clearly and effectively in the spoken and written word
- Appreciate literature in all forms and to read with a critical and analytical eye
- Appreciate the visual and performing arts
- Utilize technology for research, communication, production, and appropriate entertainment
- Have a passion and skill for lifelong learning
Austin Catholic will develop mature young men and women who:
- Use their God-given talents for loving and grateful service to each other, to society, and to God
- Are prepared through rigorous study of math, science, and technology to meet the demands of the 21st Century and beyond
- Welcome, appreciate, and respect other cultures and faiths
- Employ collaborative leadership to make a difference in an ever changing world